I made this gluten-free, vegan fruit dessert pizza tonight with the intentions of sharing it tomorrow with my roommates & friends while we watched the Bachelorette – our typical Monday night routine. However, I made the mistake of trying a bit of it tonight just to test-taste it. After all, I didn’t want to serve a bad dessert.
The problem is – I have no self control when it comes to desserts. If it is there, I must eat it. The thought of dessert consumes me, so therefore I must consume it. Plus, it was just really, really good.
So I am sad to say, that ten minutes later my gluten-free fruit pizza was all gone, but at least my sweet tooth was happy! Although excessive, I didn’t feel all that guilty. After all, in my mind, fruit + tofu = a guilt-free dessert!
Next time though, I promise to share…
1/2 firm or extra-firm tofu (about 7-8 oz)
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon olive oil
fruit of choice (I used bananas, strawberries and kiwi)
( as adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie’s lemon square crust recipe)
1/2 cup gluten-free baking flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons canola/olive oil
1-2 tablespoon water
1. Grease an 8 inch pie pan & preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all crust ingredients except water. Add water in at end until desired doughy consistency.
3. Press dough into pie curst.
4. Cook crust for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees.
5. Place tofu in food processor and blend well.
6. Add in agave, lemon juice, vanilla extract and olive oil.
7. Spread onto cooled crust.
8. Slice strawberries, kiwis and bananas.
9. Spread sliced fruit onto sauce-covered crust.
10. Chill in fridge for 2 hours before serving.
Dig in and enjoy!