I can’t believe it is time to go back to school already!! Where did the time go? I start my final semester of classes on Wednesday. So crazy!
For the past week I have been relaxing and enjoying time with my wonderful friends and family. It has been so nice to just be home! I miss it so much when I am away. There is nothing better than family time in my book. I spent lots of time in the kitchen unglutenizing and veganizing some old family recipes and time experimenting with some new ones. I love cooking at home because I have so much more room and so many more ingredients than when I am at school. Plus, I have the best taste testers possible.
In addition to cooking, I spent lots of time soaking in the sun and beautiful Wisconsin weather. A trip to Door County is always in order come summertime so my two best friends and I made a trip up north for the day. I couldn’t have asked for a better day.
One of my favorite treats I made when home was Zucchini Bread. My mom and I had picked up too many zucchini at the farmer’s market earlier in the week so we figured it was the perfect excuse to make some bread. My grandma always used to make a killer zucchini bread so we figured why not try to make it gluten-free and vegan.
After a few tweaks to the recipe, a really yummy gluten-free & vegan bread was born. It even got the approval of some of the harsher taste testers in the house, aka my brother. All and all it was a winner. Super delicious and super easy too. The recipe below makes one small loaf of zucchini bread.
1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour blend (I use Bob’s Red Mill all-purpose gf flour)
1 1/2 Ener-G egg replacers
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Mix dry ingredients together first – flour, sugar, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
3. Mix together wet ingredients – eggs, vanilla and oil.
4. Mix dry and wet ingredients together and then add grated zucchini. Stir until smooth.
5. Pour into bread pan and cook for an hour at 325 or until bread passes the toothpick test (Insert a toothpick into the center of the bread & check to see if it comes out clean).
Dig in and enjoy!!