In less than a week my sister will be venturing across the Atlantic Ocean to study abroad in the Czech Republic. I still can’t believe she leaves so soon! I am so insanely jealous! Even though I was studying abroad myself only a year and a half ago, it seems like so much longer. Take me back! Take me back, please!
In honor of her departure, I had to make her favorite dessert carrot cake when I was home. Lately, I have been really obsessed with dates and with raw food recipes so I wanted to try and combine my two newfound crazes into one fantastic new recipe.
The end result – a delicious carrot cake that is both gluten-free and vegan. Plus, it requires no oven or baking at all. The only appliance you need for this recipe is a food processor. Not bad, eh?
The ingredients for the cakes are all raw: dates, walnuts, carrots, raisins and honey (use agave for vegan version) . For the cream cheese frosting I did use cream cheese and powdered sugar. I am sure you could make a cream cheese frosting from completely raw ingredients using cashews; however, I am allergic to cashews so I opted for TJ’s cream cheese instead.
These cakes were fun to make and even better to eat. My sister loved them and even my brother who lives on beef and fast food gave me his seal of approval. Not that he was able to sneak many away from me and my sister though.
2 cups grated carrots
1 cup dates
1 cup walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
1/8 cup honey (*use agave or other sweetener to make vegan)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 container of dairy-free cream cheese (I use Trader Joe’s “This is not a tub of cream cheese”)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1. Put dates, walnuts and raisins in food processor and blend until chunks are gone.
2. Add in carrots and grind.
3. Add in honey and spices. Blend in food processor until a chunky texture.
4. Spoon carrot cake into muffin containers until full.
1. Mix softened dairy-free cream cheese and and powdered sugar together in a bowl until well blended.
2. Dollop frosting on top of carrot cakes.
3. Refrigerate carrot cakes until set (usually about 30 minutes) and dig in! Refrigerate cakes in between servings.
Go crazy and enjoy!!
I submitted this recipe is week to Allegry Free Wednesday – a great link-up by Laura@Gluten Free Pantry, Nancy@Real Food Allergy Free, Amber@The Tasty Alternative, Michelle@The Willing Cook, Janelle@ Gluten Freely Frugal , Adrienne @ Whole.New.Mom, and Tessa @ The Domestic Diva.